Today is World Heart Day, join in the movement and make a promise to take better care of your heart!
The World Heart Federation is looking to create a community of ‘Heart Heroes’ – those who will take action to make changes that will ensure that they will live heart-healthy lives, by promising the following:
Although cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death today, making these changes can have a long-lasting impact.
Recent studies have demonstrated how changing eating habits can dramatically impact on heart health:
- Those who eat more fish, or are vegetarians have a lower incidence of ischemic heart disease than those who eat more meat.
- Heart attack has been found to occur more often in areas that have a greater density of fast food retailers.
- Eating a plant-based diet has been associated with a lower incidence of heart attack, stroke, or heart failure.
In addition to eating habits, other factors also play a role in heart-health:
- Depression has a negative impact on heart health, which can also be exacerbated by stress.
- Insomnia has been linked with an increased risk of heart disease.
Staying physically active is another key to maintaining heart health:
- Even light exercise can significantly reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Staying physically active can cut heart attack risk in half.
- Endurance and resistance types of exercise specifically reduce fat around the heart.
Become a Heart Hero, and make some positive changes today!
World Heart Federation website: https://www.world-heart-federation.org/
Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay